[ANN] istring 1.0.1 released; announce list created

Artur Skura arturs at iidea.pl
Wed Mar 6 07:10:58 EST 2002

Michael Ströder wrote:

> Maybe it's me but I can't see the advantage over using

> How about providing a more complex example illustrating the benefits
> of istring?

Should I paste from their page? ;)

        Why would I want to interpolate variables when I could use %s
        notation?

      Ask yourself which query is clearer:

      (1) db.query("""SELECT    foo, bar
                      FROM      %s
                      WHERE     rsrc_id = %s
                      AND       name = '%s'" % (table, rsrc_id, name))

      Or:

      (2) qry = istring("""SELECT   foo, bar
                           FROM     $table
                           WHERE    rsrc_id = $rsrc_id
                           AND      name = $.name""")
          db.query(qry)

      To make this even cleaner, we could write a function that took a
      regular raw string with istring interpolation, then made an istring
of
      it and submitted the query, like this:

      (3) db.iquery("""SELECT   foo, bar
                       FROM     $table
                       WHERE    rsrc_id = $rsrc_id
                       AND      name = $.name""")

It's not something revolutionary, just useful. If it was in standard Python,
I would probably use it every day.

Regards,
Artur
--