should i learn it first ?

Qiang.JL dragon at china.org
Sat Mar 9 15:01:44 EST 2002

"Jason Orendorff" <jason at jorendorff.com> wrote in message
> Qiang.JL wrote:
> > I am a student who have learned perl,java and other like data structure
> > stuff. Now i want to take some further step to learn one or two
> > languages to improve my language view. There are two languages are on
> > the list: python and C++
>
> Learn C first.
>
> > do i need to learn C/C++ to be a good programmer?
>
> You can be a good Java programmer without knowing C.
> You can be a good Python programmer without knowing C.
> But every good *all-around* programmer I've met knows C.
>
> ## Jason Orendorff    http://www.jorendorff.com/

Do you guys not agree to master C/C++, a large amount of time will be
required (somewhere on the net i saw it's appro 3-4 years.  whew!!)
In one i want to learn it but on the  other this time consuming issue scare
me .as the  bad tradeoff -- it's smarter to use a language that uses the
machine's time less efficiently, but your time much more efficiently.

am i whining? , :-)

and one more question,  what's you view of "you have mastered a language" ?
knowing syntax and grammer is the begining to master, then know how to use
them(wisely) and  coding coding ... after certain long time , that you call
you master the language? As the same data structure and programming mind
almost  apply to any language, i never so sure if i master a language or
not, and only feel i can use this or that language do the job. Or maybe this
can be said there is no such thing you master the language, It's only you
know this language better and have more experience with it.

Those are the questions poping up in my head once in a while when i am
tempted by some fance widely used languages and wondering should i give it a
go by putting aside the one i am using which i am not sure if i've mastered
it yet.

sincerely thanks any input which will help me explore the programmer world

Q.