RFC PEP candidate: q'<delim>'quoted<delim> ?

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Mar 10 22:41:56 EST 2002

Joshua Macy wrote:

> But then you have to indent everything in the text to that level, which
> isn't quite the same as cut-and-paste arbitrary text any more.

True, but to me, that's a feature. It annoys me
that triple-quoted strings can't be made to fit
in with the indentation structure of the rest of
the program.

> If
> triple quoting isn't sufficient, I'd take that as a sign that the
> material should be a separate data file...

One problem with that is the hassle of making sure
that the separate file remains with the Python
code and is accessible from it. Maybe there should
be a function which will search for an arbitrary
file using the same rules as are used for finding
modules during import.

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg