Black Adder and PyQt

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 2 06:05:07 EST 2002

Ron Stephens wrote:

> I am thinking of buying a "home" license of Black Adder, to use for
> making GUI's for Python programs to be used on Linux+KDE and also
> perhaps for the new Sharp Zaurus. Does anyone have any experience with
> Black Adder that they can share? One of my main reasons for wanting
> Black Adder is to use the GUI builder, so I am particualrly interested
> in opinions about that aspect of Black Adder, but I am also interested
> in other aspects as well.
>
> One question I have concerns licensing. If I buy the "home" version,
> could I still share my programs as GPL'ed open source, or would that
> require me to buy the "professional" license, which is much more
> expensive? In other words, my programs would never be used in any
> commercial way but I might want to post them as open source, free
> software.

The main difference in the licence between the "home" and "professional"
version relate to the re-distribution rights of Qt. The "professional"
version allows you to re-distribute the copy of the Qt supplied with
BlackAdder with your application (but under no other circumstances), so
you can ship a complete binary package to your customers for both Linux
and Windows without incurring any further licensing fees from Trolltech.

If you are only developing GPL'ed applications, and you are expecting
users to already have Qt installed, then the "home" version is fine.

Phil