Linux-related help

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Mar 27 15:29:47 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1017252163.2262.python-list at python.org>,
Susan Williams  <susan at mars.provis.com> wrote:

>We are attempting to port from Solaris to Linux, and I'm having some
>unpleasant malloc/free problems at exit (sys.exit).  We have running
>software based currently on 1.5.2.  We're compiling on Linux with gcc
>3.0.3 (on Solaris we were using Sun's compiler, not gcc, I think).
>
>Unfortunately I have a 3rd party module I'm linking with python that
>is rather ancient.  We first got it when using python 1.3, we "ported"
>it to 1.5.2, and I can't quite pin down whether it is the root of the
>problem or not, perhaps it is doing something not quite kosher.  (The
>idea of trying to get it running with 2.1 gives me the willies, but
>that is not really today's issue.)
>
>Anyone out there using Linux especially with 1.5.2 is this ringing any
>bells?  On exit, python is clearing the list of modules, each module
>is clearing dictionary entries by setting them to None, and it is the
>decref that is blowing up.  It is not always in the same place, but it
>is always in the code that is setting a dictionary value to None and
>deleting whatever was there before.

Ooooo, yuck.  My memory says that changing the way modules get unloaded
is one of the big changes post-1.5.2.  I have little actual experience
with extensions; hopefully somebody who does will respond, but consider
this a suggestion to start looking into upgrading.

Why is this newsgroup different from all other newsgroups?