should i learn it first ?

G. Sumner Hayes sumner-nntp5 at forceovermass.com
Sun Mar 10 12:04:57 EST 2002

In article <3C8AD9B6.5CEE7588 at engcorp.com>, Peter Hansen wrote:
> I agree with much of what you say, especially the "consider skipping
> C++ and just learn C part", but _what_ pragmatic point of view is it
> that has one learning Perl, Java, or C++ when one uses Python already?
> Not dissing those languages, but when would you really need them?
> Or were you thinking strictly from the "job market pragmatism" POV?

I was thinking of overall "coping with code you have to deal with in
the real world" pragmatism, which is good for the job market not
just from the "add to my resume" standpoint but also the "now I have
to fix/alter this 50,000 line java/perl/C++ system" POV.

Though it's often quicker to rewrite those in 5,000 lines of Python <.5 wink>.

  Sumner

--
rage, rage against the dying of the light

Usenet email address changes periodically.  sumner-nntp at forceovermass
period com is more permanent.