Where is/What happened to ActivePython (PythonWin) 2.2 ?!

David Ascher DavidA at ActiveState.com
Thu Mar 28 17:40:01 EST 2002

> Absolutely. All of Mark's Win32 stuff are pretty much essential to
> many Windows users now, I would guess.
>
> Updating the distro package would be nice too: Add a few handy
> registry tweaks, such as setting PATHEXT properly, and a nice HTML
> Windows help file (chm) and we'd have a nice slick package.

I'm not going to discourage anyone from learning about installers, but
let me just warn you that it's a lot of work to make a nice installer.
Tim already spends a lot of time on installers that I for one would
rather see him spend on things that the rest of us can't do =).

ActivePython's new installer does 'feature selection', so you can choose
to install all, some or none of Mark's code; it also does the PATHEXT
tweaks, we have an integrated CHM file which includes a lot of extra
docs (the what's new, the HOWTOs, etc.).

The feature of supporting 'file drops' is one we should definitely look
at adding.  It's very mac-ish (that's a compliment! =).

--david ascher