Windows NT shell + extended characters. Bug or what?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Mar 17 14:46:57 EST 2002

Wolfgang Strobl <ws at mystrobl.de> writes:

> >This is rather unlikely, I doubt the interactive interpreter will ever
> >be able to properly identify the encoding of the console window.
>
> What's wrong with GetConsoleOutputCP, besides the restrictions
> documented in "Q99795 SetConsoleOutputCP Only Effective with Unicode
> Fonts"?

There are several problems with that:
- as you point it, it fails for the raster fonts (for no apparent
  reason)
- for outputting Unicode, OutputConsoleW is more appropriate, IMO,
  since it can also output characters not supported in the output
  code page.
- we were talking about input. Admittedly, GetConsoleCP might be of
  use here
- it is tricky to determine reliably that a file descriptor is
  connected to a terminal.

Regards,
Martin