Deitel and Deitel Book...

Jason Orendorff jason at jorendorff.com
Sun Mar 3 13:01:03 EST 2002

Sheila King wrote:
> That's funny. I'm not familiar with the Lippman/Lajoie book, but I
> have a LOT of C++ texts here at home. And I learned C++ from the Deitel
> and Deitel book, and thought it was pretty good. Later, when I taught
> C++ I used it as a reference, although I didn't select it as the text
> for my course. Most people I know who are familiar with the Deitel
> and Deitel C++ text think it is very good.

I dislike Deitel & Deitel because of their casual disregard for
correctness.  I can't open any of their books without finding an error.
In C++HTP, they illustrate "Circle" as a subclass of "Point".  In CHTP,
they say it's a common programming error to use \n outside of a printf
statement (it only works in printf statements, they say).

Maybe they do this because they think it simplifies the point they're
making, but I think it's a disservice to the student.  Anyone serious
about programming in C++ will need to know what derived classes
signify.

## Jason Orendorff    http://www.jorendorff.com/