py2exe 0.3.1 hangs trying to remove build under Win98SE

Doug Farrell writeson at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 19 14:42:07 EST 2002

Hi all,

I'm trying to package up a Python2.2 program that uses wxPython with
the py2exe system and I'm having no luck. I open up a DOS window (I'm
running Win98SE) and run the following command line:

python pyexe.py myscript.py

The pyexe.py setup script is something I got from ASPN that is a
generalized setup script for this purpose, I've listed it below:

from distutils.core import setup
import sys, os, py2exe

name = sys.argv[1]
sys.argv[1] = 'py2exe'

sys.path.append(os.path.dirname(os.path.abspath(name)))

setup(name=name[:-3], scripts=[name])

At the end of processing, I get the message:
removing 'build\bdist.win32\winexe' (and everything under it)

At this point the DOS window hangs and never returns. In fact I have
trouble killing it with the Task Manager. In addition, at this point
Windows Explorer no longer runs, it comes up, but the window frame is
empty. I have to reboot my machine to get full control back.

The script does create the dist directory where I expect it and there
is a myscript.exe and accompanying DLL's and such there. But if I try
to run that program, a DOS window comes up with various tracebacks in
it about not being able to import various modules. The myscript.py
file runs fine in the interpreter. Anyone have any idea what's going
on here? I'm runnig py2exe version 0.3.1, so I have the latest.

Thanks for your help,
Doug