CP4E was Re: Deitel and Deitel Book...

Ramkumar Kashyap rkashyap at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 6 09:12:09 EST 2002

I find that most introductory books approach programming in a
non-intuitive manner and lose out on a big chunk of their audience.
 Only a few of us that persevere, end up learning the language and even
fewer go on to achieve "GURU" status. Why is this?

I have seen several posts on CLP and the newbie tutors list, where
people mention that their first encounter with programming was in BASIC,
COBOL, Pascal, Fortran.  They did not really make any progress, gave up
on programming.  Now they are attempting once again, hoping things have
become a little easier.

I would like to know how the pattern was set to teach programming
languages.  You do an introductory program like "Hello World", learn how
to compile and run it. Then jump into decision structures, loops,
functions, etc.

This is extremely non-intuitive to most people.  Most 5,6,7 year olds
can speak fluently in their native languages, but how many of them could
tell you about vowels, consonants, nouns, verbs, adjectives.  In fact
quite a few of them speak multiple languages, can easily differentiate
sentence structures in those languages, but would be hard-pressed to
give defintions of the above.

So how come in programming, we ALWAYS jump into the constructs of a
language, rather than just doing, gaining proficiency and then
understanding how it is put together?

I think that unless the approach to teaching Programming languages, is
changed and follows the more universal style of teaching spoke language
or verbal communication, Computer Programming for Everybody will remain
a dream.

Just my .02 cents

Ramkumar