socket

Uriah Welcome precision at devrandom.net
Fri Mar 15 20:47:37 EST 2002

Cliff Wells <logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<mailman.1016218106.2021.python-list at python.org>...
> On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 17:46:01 GMT
> Billy Ng wrote:
>
> > Nothing evil here.  I have 2 reasons why I would do this program.  Firs,
>  it
> > is my TCP/IP concept class's project.  Basically, I want to try what the
> > book tells in to code, but I notice it does not work the way it says in
>  so
> > many commercial SMTP servers.  Second, I have been unemployed for about 4
> > months.  My friend's company needs a program to verify the users who
> > registered to their service.  They found out many registered users were
> > using fake addresses.  I just want to try this program to see if I will
>  get
> > a job there.  That's all!  I really do appreciate if you would provide
>  any
> > info for me to complete this project.
>
> Why not do like many others do: send a confirmation email to the address
> and require a reply from that address to complete registration.

Well.. the way that Exim and other MTAs do address verification is to
fake a bounce to that user ala...

mail from: <>
rcpt to: <emailaddress>

And check for a result.  You said you already thought about this, but
besides a confirmation email this is probably the best way.  Since if
they can't recieve bounces they're breaking RFC anyways. Unfortunately
people like yahoo.com and others return okay for _any_ address.

In short there is no fool proof way to do this.