Python Web Programming Book?

Simon Brunning SBrunning at trisystems.co.uk
Wed Mar 27 04:02:01 EST 2002

> From:	Michael Hall [SMTP:olc at ninti.com]
> I'm wondering if anyone can suggest the best (or a selection of the
> best) books available covering the use of Python in a web and database
> environment? It's OK if the book deals with other stuff, as long as its
> treatment of web programming and database integration is good.

Steve Holden's "Python Web Programming" sounds *exactly* right for you - it
covers web programming (both client & server side) *and* database
programming in some depth.

> Is a book that also deals with Zope, Cheetah and Albatross or
> related topics (embedded Python, I suppose) asking just too
> much?

Yes. <wink>

> A good text will certainly cut down my newbie questions to this list.
> So far I have Mark Lutz' "Python Programming" and Andre Lessa's "Python
> Developer's Handbook" on my shortlist.

Mark Lutz's "Programming Python" covers the same ground as Lessa's book (GUI
programming, System programming, text processing etc.), and in more detail.
You don't need both, and I recommend the Lutz book.

It *also* covers web programming, but not to the same depth as Holden's book
does.

Oh yes, BTW, you might want David Beazley's "Python Essential Reference" on
your list, too.

Cheers,
Simon Brunning
TriSystems Ltd.