Apology to Bill Gates (was Re: ASV module, CVS modules)

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Fri Mar 1 13:28:50 EST 2002

Michael Hudson <mwh at python.net> wrote in message news:<ud6yowepw.fsf at python.net>...
> Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:
>
> >     John> Python, starting from a Unix background, where there is evidently
> >     John> no such thing as an invalid character in a file name, ...
> >
> > I believe "/" is not allowed in Unix filenames.  Not sure if this is
> > escapable or not.
>
> Don't think so.  NULLs are out, too.

It is not a case of "not allowed". You simply can't supply a file name
containing a "/" or a NUL (not a *NULL*) because "/" is interpreted as
a path separator and NUL as a string terminator.

My point was that Unix doesn't proactively check to see if you are
trying to create a file whose name you may never see again.