Python standards

Gerhard Häring gh_pythonlist at gmx.de
Mon Mar 4 19:53:40 EST 2002

Le 05/03/02 à 00:16, CSJedi écrivit:
> Can someone tell me if Python has proprietary or consensus standards such as
> ANSI?

No, there's no standard for the Python language.

Thinking of it, there are several languages which have become very
popular very quickly: Visual Basic, Perl and Java. Should this be a
coincidence?

Thinking about it, VB and Java are essentially single-vendor languages
(Java less so, but still), and the vendors have probably little interest
in standardizing the languages.

As for Perl and Python, the implementations are open-source and there's
only one Perl implementation that I know of and only two usable Python
implementations (CPython and Jython). So again, there's little use for a
standard here, perhaps mostly because there's no actual product to put
the "ISO Python compliant" label onto.

In Python-land, the situation is that there's a de-facto standard,
namely the CPython implementation, which was the only implementation for
a long time. As soon as a new feature is implemented in CPython, the
Jython developers follow suit for their system.

Its good to know that the CPython folks try to not introduce any
language features which are impossible to implement in Jython. That was
one argument against including the original "Stackless Python" into the
core, for example.

Gerhard
--
This sig powered by Python!
Außentemperatur in München: 2.2 °C      Wind: 0.5 m/s