Text Search Engine that works with Python

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Sun Mar 3 22:52:58 EST 2002

On 04 Mar 2002, 00:27:23, William Park wrote:
> Doug Farrell <writeson at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm wondering if anyone knows of a text search engine that works with
> > Python? What I'm looking for specifically is something that will
> > compress the text and still allow searches and retrievals that can be
> > exact matches or proximity based. The text I want to compress and
> > search is huge (70 megs) and should compress down to half, not
> > including any index files that might be required by the search engine.
> > Anyone know of anything like this or any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks, Doug Farrell
>
> Perhaps, you can illustrate your problem with some concrete examples.
> Otherwise, you'll be getting "use Linux" or "use gzip/bzip2" answers
> which wouldn't be too useful for you (judging by the fact that you had
> to ask in the first place).

Maybe he's talking about "zgrep".

http://www.delorie.com/gnu/docs/gzip/zgrep.1.html

However, the effort involved in decompressing the file might out-
weigh the benefits from saving 35MB disk space.

Unless you have an _old_ disk, it may be best to leave the text
uncompressed.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson at cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| 484,246 sq mi are needed for 6 billion people to live, 4   !
! persons per lot, in lots that are 60'x150'.                |
! That is ~ California, Texas and Missouri.                  !
! Alternatively, France, Spain and The United Kingdom.       |