unicode experiments + questions

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Mar 27 18:30:48 EST 2002

"Irmen de Jong" <irmen at NOSPAMREMOVETHISxs4all.nl> writes:

> Adding the well-known iso-8859-1 (iso-latin-1) to the list
> results in an exception: Latin-1 encoding error: ordinal not in range(256)
> as expected, because I found out that the Euro symbol is not
> in latin-1 but *is* in latin-9 (iso-8859-15).

Indeed, this was one of the driving forces for the introduction of
latin-9. IMO, Latin-9 is a bad choice as a data format - you have to
give up other characters in return, and all the advantages of Latin-1
(it being the default encoding in many places) are lost. So you may as
well use UTF-8 instead, and gain access to all characters supported in
Unicode.

Regards,
Martin