Help newbie w/Numpy Install ??

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sun Mar 10 23:16:02 EST 2002

[jrc]
> I'm brand new to Python - tho experienced somewhat
> with programming, compiling, etc.  I just downloaded
> Python v2.2 but have yet to install.

Install it, and work your way through the included tutorial.  You're in for
a treat!

> I'm going to run it on Windows ME. (I have MSVC 6.0 but not
> installed, hopefully don't need all that.)

Probably not.

> I can't seem to understand, on sourceforge / numpy
> pages, the following two issues:
>
>   a) Exactly which files do I need to download to make
> NumPy work with Python 2.2 - or is that even possible?

This can't be answered until you can ask a better question <wink>.  To get
started, download only Numeric-20.3.win32-py2.2.exe.  That's assuming you
want to use version 20.3 of NumPy (I can't answer that for you), and don't
want any NumPy addons at the start (ditto).

>   b) Will I need my c-compiler to get NumPy to work?

Nope.  Note that you'll usually get better help with NumPy on its mailing
list:

    http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=1369