PEP 285: Adding a bool type

phil hunt philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Mar 30 15:05:35 EST 2002

On 30 Mar 2002 01:36:43 -0800, Paul Rubin <phr-n2002a at nightsong.com> wrote:
>Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:
>>     Dear reviewers:
>>
>>     I'm particularly interested in hearing your opinion about the
>>     following three issues:
>>
>>     1) Should this PEP be accepted at all.
>
>I don't see much need for it.

Nor do I. Python works OK as it is, asnd this proposal adds nothing
new semantically (because bool must act the similarly to int, for
compatibility). The only advantage I see is that code is slightly
more self-documenting, e.g.:

      return True

instead of:

      return 1

> There's no need to turn Python into Java.

Indeed. Python, as it stands, is a much clearer and nicer-to-code-in
langauge than Java, C, C++, etc.

--
<"><"><"> Philip Hunt <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> <"><"><">
"I would guess that he really believes whatever is politically