Develop-test-debug cycle

Dale Strickland-Clark dale at riverhall.NOTHANKS.co.uk
Fri Mar 22 20:07:52 EST 2002

"John Roth" <johnroth at ameritech.net> wrote:

>I don't. I got bit by the XP bug a while back, and now I
>write all unit tests in advance, using the 'unittest' module.
>I keep the editor (PythonWin) open, save the module
>I've just changed, and invoke a script at the command line
>to run the current test set. Works like a charm, and has the
>additional advantage that I don't have to worry about
>breaking things with changes - the unit tests are persistant,
>so they'll tell me.
>
>I don't have to go into the debugger very much to figure
>out a problem, so reloading the module from scratch
>isn't a significant issue.

That's fine for small systems - and I do the same - but for large
systems the supporting environment for a single object is too complex.
We are working on a system of >50 modules you simply can't run most
modules in isolation.
--
Dale Strickland-Clark
Riverhall Systems Ltd