trackers (was: zlib vulnerabilities and python)

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Wed Mar 13 15:29:53 EST 2002

[Aahz wrote]
> In article <mailman.1016040504.2814.python-list at python.org>,
> Trent Mick  <trentm at ActiveState.com> wrote:
> >[Michael Hudson wrote]
> >>
> >> Time to look at roundup again?  The tracker on sf is starting to piss
> >> me off (even more).
> >
> >If you *are* going to get motivated to look at a different tracker *please*
> >consider bugzilla. You will find it a much more appropriate than roundup.
>
> Sure!  Knowing nothing about SF trackers (yesterday was my first
> submitted bug, I think), roundup, or bugzilla, I think I'm in a perfect
> position to evaluate all of them.  Can you explain what makes bugzilla
> superior to roundup?

Bugzilla has a big use community, hence, I would suspect better support. It
is heavily used in a lot of projects. Roundup is not, from what I know.

With bugzilla you can explicitly add yourself and remove yourself from the
Cc lists of bugs. With roundup you get plopped onto a the nosy list of a bug
by responding to traffic on the discussion. That seems like a good idea but
we (Komodo development folks at ActiveState) found that that didn't scale
that well to lots of and long standing bugs when people joined and left the
team.

Roundup's use of the subject line of emails to carry bug attributes did not,
in our experience, scale well.

MarkH does a good defense of bugzilla here:
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/1060597

> What, if anything, does roundup have that bugzilla
> does not?

It is written in Python. :)

Trent

--