PEP262 - database of installed packages

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Thu Mar 28 15:07:10 EST 2002

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 11:25:44AM -0800, Trent Mick wrote:
>Yes, a couple of tags were added under the <IMPLEMENTATION> tag to enable a
>PPD to decribe (1) what language it is suitable for (in our current usage,
>Perl or Python) and (2) what range of versions of that language interpreter
>it will work for.

OK, those changes seem straightforward and can be handled when the
time comes.

Here's another question: is there any explanation of how version
numbers are handled?  distutils/version.py has extensive examples in
the docstrings for the StrictVersion and LooseVersion classes, and I'm
wondering how they'd be mapped to PPD's version tuples.  The PPD man
page on aspn.activestate.com gives an example version tuple as
"4,2,0,0", but it's not clear how that maps to a version number, or
what a version number such as 2.2.1a3 would be translated to as a
tuple.

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
Is this thing reliable?
    -- Grace, asking about the TARDIS, in "The Enemy Within"