Replacing excel: but with what ?

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 25 15:51:31 EST 2002

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 23:46:14 +0200
Joonas Paalasmaa wrote:

> Does Tkinter meet your needs? You can create a spreadsheet by griddinng
> Entry widgets. There is an example in Lutz's Programming Python 2'nd
> Edition, if you happen to owe it.

Doing this was exactly what moved me to wxPython a couple of years ago.
This approach will work, but it will be extremely slow for even a
moderately large spreadsheet.  I even tried writing a spreadsheet widget
from scratch using Tkinter and although it was much faster, it was still
too slow (unfortunately I no longer have the code or I'd send it to you
=P).  Something like this needs be written in a compiled language.

The wxGrid control is certainly one of the least stable of the wxPython
widgets, but I think if you build your wxWindows and wxPython from CVS
you'll find that many of the problems have been fixed.  Hopefully a release
is in the works that includes these fixes in the near future.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)