Dispatching a Win32 COM in the background?

Steven M. Castellotti SteveC at nospam.innocent.com
Fri Jun 21 15:10:29 EDT 2002

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 08:30:36 -0500, Peter Hansen wrote:

> David LeBlanc wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm... if this is working for you, that's great - it just looks
>> strange to me.
>>
>> If Background_TTS is the background speacher thread, shouldn't it have
>> the queue.get() in it and the foreground have the queue.put()?
>>
>> It's also worth noting that self isn't used or needed at the global
>> level, so self.speech is kind of different ;-)
>
> I'm pretty sure from previous postings he was going to call this from
> within another object, so the "self." used elsewhere might refer to it.
>
> As near as I can tell, with that in mind, the .get() and .put() are in
> exactly the right places.

	That's right, this object is getting called from another class object.
All of this is part of a GPL'd program that allows children to create
their own video games using drawings and pictures, without them having to
learn how program.

	Since the program runs under Linux and Windows, there's separate
objects loaded for each enviroment, both having a reference set to
"self.speech" in order to abstract the exact implementation away from
other parts of the program.

Cheers,

Steve Castellotti
SteveC (at) innocent.com