Windows versions of Python---pros and cons?

Tom Loredo loredo at astro.cornell.edu
Thu Jun 20 15:35:21 EDT 2002

Fernando Pérez wrote:

> If you're an old unix hand and want to preserve your sanity, you have two
>
> 1- put linux on that laptop and be happy.

Actually, I've reserved a big chunk of the disk for linux.  Just gotta
decide which version (is there a "best" one for Python?  E.g., Redhat
uses Python, but does their reliance on an old version still cause
problems?).  I'll stay there when I'm developing for *me* on it!

> 2- if (1) is not an option for some reason, put cygwin on it.

Actually, I need to develop stuff that other Win32 users can use,
some probably distributed via the McMillan installer (which I presume
works as well with Active State as with the python.org version).
So I'm stuck here....

> If you have to work in the normal,
> crippled windows environment, that laptop is going to suffer a painful death
> after being hurled through the nearest window very soon :)

I've only had it two weeks, and only the power cord to the battery
charger has saved it!  The fact that Dell shipped it with a defective
install of Win98 did not help its cause.

Thanks, to everyone!
-Tom