Python 2.2.1

Carl Caulkett carlca at dircon.co.uk
Thu Jun 13 18:16:51 EDT 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 20:58:58 GMT, "Dave" <talbotdr at starband.net>
wrote:

>    Hi, I am 12 years old and would like to begin learning Python over the summer. I have Windows 98 SE. I have python 2.2.1 and all of its utilities on my computer. I am taking a tutorial from  http://softwaredev.earthweb.com/sdopen/article/0,,12382_626311,00.html  If you go to it and scroll down to the paragraph entitled Getting Started there is a paragraph that says, "You will need to cause the directory containing the file named python.exe to be listed in your system environment variable named path. If you already know how to set the path, go ahead and do it.  If you don't already know how, you may need to get some help."
>

>    How do I set the path and what should the name of the path be? All help and information would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

Hi Dave,

Step 1 ... First of all you need to make a note of where Python is
installed. If you used the default settings, I would think that it
will be in C:\Python22 or something similar. The file python.exe
should be in a sub-folder called "bin" underneath the C:\Python22
folder. So here you would note down C:\Python22\bin.

Step 2 ... (*** VERY IMPORTANT ***) The next step is to make a backup
of your autoexec.bat file (this will be in the root of your C: drive.
Just use Windows Explorer to make a copy of it.

Step 3 ... Then you will need to edit autoexec.bat by opening it in
Notepad. Find the line which says something like PATH
C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND. You then need to add the folder name
that you noted in step 1 to the end of this line. If the line already
ends with a ; character, then just add the folder name straight after.
If there is no ; then you need to add one to the end of the existing
path entry before adding the new folder name.

Step 4 ... Save the edited autoexec.bat and close Notepad.

Step 5 ... Reboot the machine.

Step 6 ... Once the PC has rebooted, you can check that the path
change is correct by doing Strat -> Run -> "command". This will bring
up a DOS prompt. Just type in the word PATH and <enter>. You should
see a line that shows your newly added Python folder at the end. Type
EXIT and <enter> to leave the DOS prompt. That's it - you should be
ready for Python now.

By the way, well done for choosing Python. It's a remarkable language
that will help you learn some good programming skills. Just as
importantly, it's great fun because you can start to see useful
results very quickly, which is a great way of motivating you to learn
even more. Good luck <g>.

P.S. You might want to check your newsgroup settings and see if you
can switch on the wordwrap option. Your message came through as one
continuous line.

--
Cheers,
Carl