Freeze questions

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jun 5 16:51:32 EDT 2002

"Sung H. Kim" <skim at adobe.com> writes:

> Can the Freeze tool be used with C libraries? i.e. extensions?

Sure. I recommend that you don't build the extensions as shared
libraries, but as static object files - that allows you to incorporate
them into the binary. The frozen binary cannot incorporate shared
libraries - but it can still use them.

> Will it create a truly standalone app (on Windows)?

Not in the default configuration. If you build python as a static
library (i.e. pythonxy.lib instead of pythonxy.dll), then you can
create truly standalone binaries. It requires some manual work to
create such a build process, though.

> Does it support tk/tkinter apps yet?

Depends on what you mean by "support". You can certainly freeze
Tkinter applications, but that won't incorporate the Tcl libraries
into the executable. To achieve that, you need
- static versions of the Tcl libraries,
- Tix
- Tix Stand-Alone Modules (SAM)
If you build Tix with SAM support, you get truly standalone Tkinter
binaries. I did that five years ago, but haven't tried since.

> Finally, is there a good how-to on the Windows platform?

Sure. The Microsoft online documentation (press Start, then Help)
includes quite reasonable Howtos for using Windows :-)

Regards,
Martin