Thread Memory Leak

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Jun 25 10:12:42 EDT 2002

    >> You never remove any thread objects from your listThread list.  It
    >> fills up with completed threads.

    Peter> Actually, the list is rebound to a new empty list each pass
    Peter> through the while loop...

Duh...  That's what I get for answering questions so early in the morning...

I do see some strange behavior, now that I actually run the code.  Running
it as

    python threadgrowth.py | egrep -v RSS | uniq

yields output like

     3288 1984
     3292 1992
     3296 1996
    13536 2016
     3296 1996
    15584 2020
     3296 1996
    21728 2044
    19680 2028
    15584 2020
     3296 1996
    19680 2028
     3296 1996
    17632 2032
     3296 1996

I don't know why it bounces around like that, but the minimum VSZ does go
up:

     3296 1996
    19680 2032
     7392 2008
     3296 1996
    20704 2032
     4320 2000
    16608 2028
    20704 2040
    20704 2036
     4320 2000
    20704 2036
     4320 2000
    16608 2024
     4320 2000
    14560 2020
     4320 2000
    20704 2032
     4320 2000
    16608 2024
    18656 2032
     4320 2000
    18656 2028
     4320 2000

This was after just a couple minutes of running.

Skip