Newbie deluxe

Al salmonia at cf.ac.uk
Wed Jun 19 09:53:35 EDT 2002

Yes Python can be used for graphical applications. I am writing one just
now: http://salstat.sunsite.dk - it's for statistical analysis (a bit
like a smaller, simpler version of SPSS). It has a spreadsheet like grid
for data entry, the output is in html (in its own window, not a separate
browser), and there is hypertext help, so I suppose fully fledged
graphical applications can be developed.

I used wxPython for the GUI things (it's a separate download, but costs
nothing) - this means my application now runs on Windows, Linux, Unix
and MacIntosh OSX - without a single change of line code, something that
I didn't find possible when I used Kylix and Delphi. The problem with
wxPython is that you will probably need to learn how to program it -
there are GUI designers if you want (Boa Constructor and PythonCard
being 2 that spring to mind), but if you want the power, you will be
best off learning how to write the code by hand. It really isn't that
difficult once you get going - if I can do it, I am sure you can! ;)

To summarise - since using Python, I really haven't looked back once!

Alan.

btw - I found its functional language constructs to be superb and very
time saving.