Python crashed on me

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Thu Jun 27 12:50:42 EDT 2002

Hello!

   Recently Python (one program that I am dbugging) started to crash.
FreeBSD kills it with "Bus error", Linux with "Segmentation fault".

   I think the program crashed in the cPickle.dump(file, 1), because after
the crash the file is corrupted and cannot be load back (upon loading
cPickle complain EOFile). The error is reproduceable.

   How can I debug the situation? May be my data grew too big? The pickle
file is about 800K.

   Details. The program is my URL robot
(http://phd.pp.ru/Software/Python/#bookmarks_db). The robot runs
urllib.urlretrive() on my bookmarks file and report the results. Between
runs data may be saved in different formats, including pickle.
   While trying to understand what is going on and make full run faster I
replaced the call to urlretrive with fake function that returns nothing.
The robot crashed with the same segfault.

   Python is

Python 2.2.1 (#2, Apr 10 2002, 15:15:56)
[GCC 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)] on linux2

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru