Reminder of a python Project.

Timothy Rue threeseas at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 25 20:40:47 EDT 2002

First off, it's ok that I got such a high level of resistance to my
initial posting here about this project. Thanks to some research that /.
had an article on, regarding the size of GPL project teams.

But anyway.... Remember the autocoding project I mentioned?

60 billion in cost to consumer/small business (shoddy software failure)
http://www.computerworld.com/managementtopics/management/itspending/story/0,10801,72245,00.html
(slashdot has an article today that links to this - and the comments...)

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN - Sept. 1994
Article - "Software's Chronic Crisis"
Mass-produced PC products makes up less than 10% of the $92.8 billion
U.S. software market.

COMDEX SPRING and WINDOWS WORLD 95
Power Panel - "What's Wrong with Software Development"
** In The U.S. Only **
$81 Billion = 31% of software development gets cancelled before complete
$59 Billion = 53% of software development has cost over-runs of 189%
16% success - project success and failure ratio
61% customer requested features and functions make it in
Maintenance and repair is where most of the U.S. dollars are going,
instead of new, better, easier to use software.

That's 140 Billion before the cost of successful project is added in. And
a total cost increase over a 1 year period of: 47.2 + billion (I suppose
this can be cross checked with stock market or such.)

The Autocoding solution direction:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Autocoding&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&selm=5512.785T1955T13695089threeseas%40earthlink.net&rnum=1

My 1997 estimate of software failures all around (total of industry and
consumer level development and use):  Low estimate of 300 Billion.
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=2084.7123T966T2172%40mindspring.com&output=gplain

at 60 billion figured at 20% of total market ... = 300 billion.
Of course 10% means 600 billion.

---
*3 S.E.A.S - Virtual Interaction Configuration (VIC) - VISION OF VISIONS!*
   *~ ~ ~      Advancing How we Perceive and Use the Tool of Computers!*
Timothy Rue      What's *DONE* in all we do?  *AI PK OI IP OP SF IQ ID KE*
Email @ mailto:timrue at mindspring.com      >INPUT->(Processing)->OUTPUT>v
Web @ http://www.mindspring.com/~timrue/  ^<--------<----9----<--------<