Python 2 Monolithic Executable

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon Jun 10 15:35:20 EDT 2002

Anoop P B <anoop79 at myrealbox.com> writes:

> 	I need to write a program which will take user input and mail it to a
> predesignated email address. The constraint is that it needs to be a
> single, small executable (without requiring installation and no
> dependencies) (Windows). Is there a way to create such an executable
> from a python program?

Gordan McMillan's installer package [1] supports creating a single
executable.  It's actually an archive in the form of an executable,
and when it runs, it unpacks temporary copies of external DLLs or
files that it needs, and the files are removed when the application
exits.  The end user need not know about this - so to them it can look
just like a single executable to run.

You're probably going to have a tough time with "small" though
depending on your definition.  A minimum application is likely to be
around 450-500KB, since it has to include at least the Python DLL and
whatever libraries you use.

[1] http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html

--
-- David