PIL, Python and CGI

Sascha Ferley Sascha.Ferley at infineon.net
Sun Jun 23 15:52:29 EDT 2002

Hi,
I have a problem when writing a program of mine and moving it into a CGI
based form.
Basically if i run the python program in shell mode, it works fine. But
when i run it via cgi mode
it screws up horobly.
The problem is, I am using the function from the PIL library as follows.

import sys
import cgi
import Image
from urllib import urlretrieve

form = cgi.FieldStorage()
inputPath = form["inpP"].value
compPath = form["secP"].value

try:
        im1 = urlretrieve(inputPath)[0]
        im2 = urlretrieve(compPath)[0]
        print im1
        print im2
except:
        print "Error occured in grabbing files!"
        sys.exit(1)

try:
        Image1 = Image.open(im1)      # Tried
Image.open(im1).histogram()  still gives error
        Image2 = Image.open(im2)
except:
        print "Error opening files"
        sys.exit(1)

print image1.histogram()
print image2.histogram()

Looking at the error-log i see just following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/export/server/web/cgi-bin/compare.py", line 29, in ?
    print image1.histogram()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 577,
in histo
gram
    self.load()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line
126, in l
oad
    self.load_prepare()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line
180, in l
oad_prepare
    self.im = Image.core.new(self.mode, self.size)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 39,
in __geta
ttr__
    raise ImportError, "The _imaging C module is not installed"
ImportError: The _imaging C module is not installed

Anyone have any ideas?
Sascha