Pythoniac: Thoughts on a hardware Python processor

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Wed Jun 26 18:59:57 EDT 2002

<snip>

> I would like to try and implement this, initially in a simulation
> environment, then in a real FPGA, with hooks back to a PC allowing the
> Ideally I would like to reach a state where an interactive interpreter
> runs over a serial port...
>
> So, anyone else interested in this?  Comments, suggestions, gaping holes
> in my understanding of things as outlined above etc are welcome!
>
> Regards,
> 	Chris Saunter

Have you considered the need for:

* Bus control
* Interrupts
* Memory Management

(without even considering pipelining or other performance enhancing
techniques)

Xilinix makes available a basic FPGA/FPLA design tool for free - an entry
level of their full-on product. They are also known to support projects with
full copies of their tool and their (not-inexpensive) chips for free.
Presumably they do this if they think there might be commercial potential.

Here's a starting place: http://www.etek.chalmers.se/~e8cal1/jamcpu.html

Introductory survey piece: http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20010201S0050

Motherlode of information: http://www.opencores.org/ Includes info on open
design tools, most for Linux.

64 bit super-pipelined CPU dev project: http://www.f-cpu.org/

HTH,

Dave LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA

P.S. Personally, I think a kick-ass true compiler with a retargetable
backend would be a better thing to persue.