Shrinking Python

Mahrt, Dallas dallasm at aiinet.com
Thu Jun 13 16:15:39 EDT 2002

I am looking into using Python in a small device with limited space for
binaries. Due to this, I am both investigating creating a shared library
with the interpreter and shrinking the footprint of this library. I have
found many threads talking bout shared libraries, so I am not too concerned
about that aspect.

I am concerned about shrinking the library's binary footprint. I did find
several links to a "Deeply Embedded Python" based on 1.5.1 which has since
vanished. I have stripped the library to improve size some (to ~1.13 MB) but
would like to reduce it further. Has anyone tackled this or even attempted?
Are there any links to resources that may help me that I haven't found?

---
Dallas S. Mahrt               614-923-1194
Software Engineer             Network Management Systems
Applied Innovation Inc.       Dublin, Ohio