wxPython performance

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Jun 1 11:08:50 EDT 2002

Andrei Kulakov wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     "hello world" type program from wxPython tutorial takes 6
> seconds to start on my cel 366 128mb system (running Debian). Is
> this typical? Why is it so slow? I'm looking for a graphic
> toolkit that'd be fairly quick. I don't want to use Tk because of
> the looks.

How fast do you need it to be?  (That's a serious question.
Are you planning to open and close the application so frequently
that six seconds is unacceptable?)

On my blazing 233 MHz Windows 98 machine, with Python 2.2.1
and WxPython 2.3.2.1, a hello world program I just wrote
runs in about two seconds, for what it's worth.

-Peter