why not "'in' in 'in'"?

Grant Griffin not.this at seebelow.org
Fri Jun 14 13:43:00 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1024019967.16051.python-list at python.org>, Tim says...

>[Grant Griffin]
>> One of the things I like about Python is that it works as expected.
>> However, I sometimes accidently expect it to allow one to use "in"
>> to determine if one string is "in" another, e.g.:

>> which yields a traceback:
>So if somebody wants this change enough to submit a patch (code, doc, + test
>suite changes), it's likely to be accepted for 2.3.  As code changes go,
>this one should be particularly easy.  We have an internal bet going as to
>whether this invitation is enough to kill the idea <wink>.

Thanks for the info, Tim.  I'm not in a position to do this work myself, so if
somebody else wants to do it, I don't mind.  (Besides, I was just asking a
_question_ <wink>.)

But until this change magically appears, just knowing that there is no grand
philosophical reason why something as intuitive and practical as this must be
excluded from Python restores my faith.

faithful-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                           g2 at dspguru.com