I'd give up Perl tomorrow if only...

Richard Jones rjones at ekit-inc.com
Sun Jun 30 21:13:08 EDT 2002

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:04, Aahz wrote:
> Frank Tobin  <ftobin at neverending.org> wrote:
> >I suggest that you be a Perl programmer for a while

Gah, never again! :)

> But somehow one doesn't hear it very often from people who've been using
> Python for a long time -- and certainly nobody has truly stepped up to
> the plate to put all the finishing details into place.  Sean
> Reifschneider came pretty close, then dropped the ball.  Where's the
> itch-scratching that induces people to do the work?

I recently stepped up to the plate, but got zero response from catalog-sig.
I'll be contacting authors of the various half-finished systems directly if I
get no response soon.

> You might be able to get some traction if you concentrate on just the
> testing issue (and possibly the README issue).  That's the kind of thing
> that gets at least public verbal support from Guido.

Yep. Generally, it requires someone to just actually _write_ the PEP, submit
it, put up with the flamage long enough to get a consensus (or something very
close to) and finally the Python community will have a spec they can call
their own. I won't mind being that person - I just need to determine the
current state of the three (or so) efforts out there...

   Richard