Windows versions of Python---pros and cons?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 20 17:34:41 EDT 2002

Tom Loredo wrote:

> Well, there is now a recommendation each for WinXP and Win2k in this
> thread.  If anyone has tried both and can offer a comparison/recommendation,
> I'm all ears.  If I'm going to upgrade, I'd rather do it sooner than later.

This is getting kind of OT, but I'm seriously unthrilled with the
licencing/privacy/registration issues with XP, so I havn't tried it. I
also see no reason to, the only improvements I've heard about are better
integration of various (mostly MS) multi-media stuff with the desktop,
which is no use to me. I'm working on a largish Python project with two
other progammers. I'm on linux, one of them on win2k the other on XP, I
havn't see much functional difference.

If I had to use windows more, I would definately give cygwin a good
look-see. There is also at least one other package of *nix command line
tools for windows that looks like it's less of a complete environment,
but rather ports of the unix tools to windows.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov