Listing all available (not just loaded) modules

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Tue Jun 18 03:53:57 EDT 2002

In Idle, look on the File menu for "Path Browser". It brings up a tree
window containing Python's idea of what it has installed.

In Pythonwin, it's on the Tools menu: "Browse Pythonpath". Does the same as
the above and also includes the pythonwin directories/modules. It also
drills down to the class/method/function level of everything it can.

In Boa, it's a tab called "Explorer" in their Editor window that has a tree
that offers varios chunks of information, including sys.path. Nice
integration.

How exactly do they do it? That's left as an exercise for the reader :). All
three of these apps have source available and all three of them accomplish
their tasks somewhat differently i'm sure. Good Hunting! (I'd start with
Idle :) .)

Regards,

Dave LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA