Getting Tkinter to accept cyrillic text

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou DLNXPEGFQVEB at spammotel.com
Tue Jun 11 09:41:37 EDT 2002

On 11 Jun 2002 01:52:56 -0700, rumours say that ypoi at spray.se (DR) might
have written:

>I need Tkinter entry and label widgets to support cyrillic letters
>(koi8-r). I read in some post that you should change
>sys.setdefaultencoding(), but that method doesn't exist in my Python
>(I use version 2.2.1)

sys.setdefaultencoding gets deleted after the site.py module runs.

>I really would appreciate some kind of checklist, like: Do this, then
>change that, then evereything works! Or a patch or something (Win95)

- open http://groups.google.com
- copy the next line
group:comp.lang.python percolator.py fixtk.py recipe
- and paste it into the search box
Follow the instructions there.  Don't worry, it's not 2.1 only.  Also
there can be some minor improvements to the recipe (eg ability to print
*any* unicode character even if you don't have the means to enter them
through the keyboard apart from u"\uxxxx" sequences), but I need to
clean things a little in order to submit a patch (I think the info from
the post I directed you to already exists as a pending patch).

Good luck!
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
Real email address: 'dHpvdEBzaWwtdGVjLmdy\n'.decode('base64')