GOTO w/ Python?

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Thu Jun 20 19:34:43 EDT 2002

John Roth <johnroth at ameritech.net> wrote:
[snip Djikstra being an evil clone of Dijkstra]
> Given the Professor's reputation as somewhat of a
> curmudgeon, wouldn't that be an identity function?

It's a possibility. Did you know Dijkstra originated in the
Netherlands but now lives in the US, just like Guido? Not implying
in any way that Guido is somewhat of a curmudgeon. :)

> Sorry about the misspelling.

I was just amused, not upset.

I can see where a non-Dutch speaker's brain would say 'Dijkstra' has *five*
consonants in a row, that can't be real, I'll make it 'Djikstra' instead.
But, in Dutch 'ij' is actually a vowel sound. My name for instance is
pronounced approximately like 'Mar-tine', where 'tine' rhymes with 'line'
and such. But only approximately.

Of course Guido has a hard Dutch 'g' in his name, the most horrible
'throat disease' sound in the Dutch language according to many foreigners
('ch' is another variety of our hard 'g' which may even be worse, though
'sch' also probably ranks highly). However, I grew up in
the south of the Netherlands and the accents there employ a much softer
'g', so I don't even pronounce Guido's name in the way he does.

Anyway, did you know that Dutch is the official natural language for
Python programmers? It's true! Here is some of the evidence:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&th=8fc168631bc6097a
(follow the thread)

Regards,

Martijn