Python needs better error reporting

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Sat Jun 29 01:35:40 EDT 2002

Cute anthropomorphism is lots of fun, but doesn't _quite_ obscure the fact
that computers don't really "tell" anybody anything, programmers do. IIRC,
Python throws this "Syntax Error: invalid syntax" in a number of places. In
the place that I used as an example, looking at the language reference, an
appropriate error would be more like:
	Syntax Error: expected "and", "or", "xor" or ":"

This would at least narrow down what should be looked at to resolve the
problem.

Vague error reporting doesn't help new user's self confidance or acceptance
of the language.

I really DO have a point!

David LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA