Is python suitable for embedded programming?

Dennis Nash nashden2002 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 10 11:07:43 EDT 2002

I am considering using Python to control embedded hardware, and would
like to know whether other people have done this, what their experiences
were, and whether they recommend it.

The system in question is in three parts: Industrial hardware talks to a
control system (a Linux or Windows2000 box). The control system outputs
the data from the hardware onto a web server. A 3rd computer contains a
web browser which will interact with the web server, allowing an operator
to view what's happening with the hardware and change parameters.

I am thinking of using Python for the middle part, i.e. the control
system which polls the hardware continually to get its state, and updates
the web pages accordingly.

Some specific questions:

* how good is serial port access in Python?

* the program will be running forever, in a big loop. Is it liable to
gradually use all the memory up and then fall over?

* output to web pages: how good is Python Server Pages? is this the best
way to do it?