Python hits the spot

Andrew Koenig ark at research.att.com
Mon Jun 24 10:04:03 EDT 2002

Tim> If it is, it's a serious misfeature of Linux's overcommitment
Tim> policies.  Python does a malloc() sufficient for 50*1000*1000
Tim> list elements at the start (about 200Mb), malloc doesn't return
Tim> NULL, and Python believes it can use the memory.  What would you
Tim> like it to do instead?

Don't some implementations of malloc offer a way to ask the operating
system to commit to the memory being available when you allocate it?
If so, I can imagine testing for that facility at config time and
using it if available.

--
Andrew Koenig, ark at research.att.com, http://www.research.att.com/info/ark