CPU Usage Windows

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Wed Jun 19 13:27:22 EDT 2002

Although billed as a true SMP OS, in fact NT, 2K and XP aren't quite. They
pretty much split I/O and system onto on CPU and applications get the other
one. I have seen the pattern you describe repeatedly on my old NT 4.0 dual
pentium pro. While it was never all that fast (200 MHZ CPU's), it took some
real effort to get it to slow down much, so I think there is some better
load sharing then what MS suggests (what I said above).

There are actually some obscurely documented programatic ways to force the
OS to actually use both (or more then 2 even) processors for one process, or
to get the OS to use both processors for applications, but I only knew about
them in passing and don't recall exactly where the information was in MSDN.

Regards,

David LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA