python version?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Jun 18 21:03:58 EDT 2002

George Hester wrote:

> I just cannot believe what I ran into in this newsgroup.  If you people want to
> be paid for your suggestions then that is fine.  But this newsgroup does not
> have the facility set up for that to happen.  Then since it don't it is
> courteous not to give advice if that is what you really want. It almost seems
> that I was given half an answer so that the other half could be provided by
> someone that would try to make a buck off me.
>
> Thank you Duncan for finally seeing the error of thier ways.
>
> Don't worry I won't return here.  This is not a group to get help but a group of
> individuals that think the world owes them something when they participate here.

Troels Therkelsen kindly pointed George to a helpful page by guru Eric Raymond.
I found the "On Not Reacting Like a Loser" section very apropos for this thread:

   Remember: When that hacker tells you that you've screwed up, and
   (no matter how gruffly) tells you not to do it again, he's acting out
   of concern for (1) you and (2) his community. It would be much easier
   for him to ignore you and filter you out of his life. If you can't manage
   to be grateful, at least have a little dignity, don't whine, and don't expect
   to be treated like a fragile doll just because you're a newcomer with a
   theatrically hypersensitive soul and delusions of entitlement.

-Peter