Iterating through two lists

Curtis Taylor c.tee at verizon.net
Sun Jun 23 13:57:51 EDT 2002

In article <7934d084.0206031700.377c691e at posting.google.com>,
 amuys at shortech.com.au (Andrae Muys) wrote:

> "Denis S. Otkidach" <ods at fep.ru> wrote in message
> news:<mailman.1022234790.26965.python-list at python.org>...
> > On Fri, 24 May 2002, jb wrote:
> >
> > j> I have two lists, x and y with the property len(x) = len(y).
> > j>
> > j> I should like to achive this (x is a list of class instances)
> > j>
> > j>   for (a,b) in (x,y): a.f(b)
> > j>
> > j> Is there a fancy way of doing this or have I to introduce an
> > j> auxillary
> > j> counter (that is very easy but maybe not very "lispy", that
> > j> is
> > j> "python-like").
> >
> > If lists are not very lange try this:
> >
> > for a, b in zip(x, y): a.f(b)
>
> If the lists are large then you probably need something along the lines of
> xzip.
>
> def xzip(*args):
>     iters = [iter(a) for a in args]
>     while 1:
>         yield tuple([i.next() for i in iters])
>
> Andrae Muys

Hi Andrae,

I've got a similar situation I'm dealing with, in that I have 2 lists of
dictionaries, each of which is of equal length. What's different
however, is that I need to do an equality check for the values of 2 of
the keys (both of which exist in each dictionary), then set the value of
the 2nd dictionary's key to the value of that of the first's, e.g.:

if dict2[key1] == dict1[key1]:
   dict2[key2] = dict1[key2]

I'm concerned with overhead, as the 2 lists could potentially be very
large. Can your xzip function be extended to do such a thing?

Thanks,

Curtis