autocoder redux (was Re: Reminder of a python Project.)

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Wed Jun 26 03:27:12 EDT 2002

<snip>
> Timothy Rue wrote:
> >
> > On 25-Jun-02 22:38:16 Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> > >I'm afraid there is no longer any need for an autocoder.
> >
> > Geee, maybe you should tell that to NIST
>
> No need.  They called me the other day and I let them know, but
> it was too late to get it into the Computerworld article.
>
> Seriously, there's really no issue with software development any
> more.  The problems are solved.  I guess if you've invented the
> world's first autocoder, it kinda sux to be you then, eh?
>
> -Peter
> --

Yes, software development techniques have gotten so good, they're now going
to have Windows XP running atomic Reactors, Air Traffic Control and the
Space Shuttle. I expect they where encouraged by US Navy tests of a warship
being run on Windows NT where the ship (conventional fueled carrier) ended
up laying dead in the water and tugs had to be summoned to bring her into
port (source: Procedings of the United States Naval Institute). Gives "blue
screen of death" a whole new meaning.

Dave LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA