Creating Dynamic Web Pages (ZOPE)

Hugh Cowan hwcowan at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 14 15:47:32 EDT 2002

Hello,

> Now, I would slow down a bit. Surely Zope is a good Web tool, and the most
> known in the Python world, but it's not the only one.
>
> Based on your requirements it is likely the best choice for you, but it's
> *my* opinion, so you could do worse than to give a look to a few alternative
>
> Webware (the most J2EE-like, and quite featureful)
> http://webware.sourceforge.net/
>
> SkunkWeb (smaller, but well endowed)
> http://skunkweb.sourceforge.net/
>
> Quixote (the smallest, a little jewel, PTLs are a charm)
> http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/
>
> All of them within the reach of the Snake, of course. :^) And there's also
> Paul Boddie's description of some of them, to save another little bit of
> your time:
>
> http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/web_frameworks.html

Wow -- thanks for the additional information and links.  It certainly
doesn't hurt to look at other solutions, although I am quite happy
with what I have seen so far with Zope.  I actually didn't think that
there were many *other* options out there that were available!

Is this sort / type of software what one would classify as "Web
Framework"? (as in the above link)  I am having difficulty looking for
a description or class for this type of software.  I haven't had time
to try Zope yet, but for instance I am assuming (not always a good
thing mind you) that you could create Static web pages (either coding
or WYSIWYG).  In those terms Zope is an HTML editor -- but I know that
it offers a lot more functionality that just creating web-pages.

Someone else has mentioned using programs such as Dreamweaver -- but I
didn't think that they were in the same class / category of software?

Now that you have introduced me to some other software packages (which
I will look at) I am just trying to sort out the different types of
software (for myself and so that I can better explain why we need more
than MS-FrontPage) between Zope (Web Framework), HTML Editors /
Coders, and RAD Web development tools.  I am sure that there is some
overlap between them all but I am just trying to figure out the main
differences between them.

Thanks again for the help and answers.

Hugh,